Who are the Friends?
The Friends of the Harvard Public Library is a community-based, volunteer organization whose purpose is to stimulate the interests of the community in the services and needs of the Harvard Public Library. We provide program assistance through volunteer help and funds and sponsorship of programs that will enable the Harvard Public Library to keep pace with the growth of the Town of Harvard.
The Friends of the Harvard Public library newsletter went out recently with the no return address on the donation envelopes. Please send your membership donations to:
PO Box 506
Harvard, MA 01451
Or they can be dropped off that the Library anytime it is open.
A sub-committee of the Friends of the Harvard Public Library is the Harvard Friends of the Arts (HFOA). All HFOA performances are free and open to the public and held at Volunteers Hall. These programs are supported with memberships to the FOHPL, proceeds from our annual book sale, your donations and by the Harvard Public Library Trust. See HFOA for more information and a list of upcoming events.
|Vicki Maxant||At Large Committee Member|
What we do:
- Provide passes to over 20 museums in the greater Boston & Worcester areas. Passes are free or discounted for Harvard citizens.
- Help fund children’s and young adult programs, including the summer reading program, book groups, early release programs, movie nights, story time, maker days, music & theater productions. There were over 7,200 participants in 350 programs last year! Most recently we provided funds for a collection of board games that can be borrowed from the Children’s Room.
- Sponsor the annual Dr. Jeffrey Harris Memorial Scholarship.
- Sponsor & organize Harvard Friends of the Arts performances at Volunteers Hall. Last season over 550 people attended 7 performances that were free & open to the public.
- Deliver “Books at Home” for homebound residents.
- Publish “Among Friends” Newsletter.
- Raised funds to help build the new library at Old Bromfield.
- Conduct the Annual Book Sale – a great book recycling program, social event and our main fundraising activity.
Please consider a tax deductible membership!
Why join the Friends?
Your Friends membership not only provides financial and community support to the Library, but also provides you with these key benefits:
Book Sale Preview Night Admission
Get first pick of the high quality books available at our annual Book Sale.
Reminders of Library and FOHPL events
Members of the FOHPL will get email reminders of upcoming events—never miss a lecture or program again!
We Invite You to Join the Friends!
Contact Chris Frechette with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PO Box 506
Harvard, MA 01451
Items for Sale
The Friends are selling books in the library lobby for $2.00.
Annual Book Sale at Harvard Public Library
This is the main fundraising event for the Friends. All proceeds go to support Harvard Public Library to fund Children’s Programs, Friends of the Arts performances, and Free Museum Passes among many other services.
Book Sale 2019 Dates:
Friday, May 10: Preview Sale for Friends of the Library only (Harvard residents may join the Friends at the door) 4:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Saturday, May 11: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Sunday, May 12: 10:00 AM - 2:00
Saturday, May 18: 10:00 AM - 2:00
Sunday, May 19: 10:00 AM - 2:00
Book Sale Collection will start April 20th:
- Saturday, April 20th: 9:00AM - NOON
- Saturday, April 27th: 9:00AM - NOON
- Saturday, May 4th: 9:00AM - NOON
Saturdays from 9 – Noon starting April 20th through May 4th at the main entrance to the Library.
Please Note: we have limited space so please bring only books in good condition. Please DO NOT bring encyclopedias, magazines, broken or moldy books, Readers' Digest books, VHS tapes, record albums or cassette tapes. Please do not leave books at the “old” library.