Who are the Friends?
The Friends of the Harvard Public Library is a community-based, volunteer organization whose purpose is to stimulate the interests of the community in the services and needs of the Harvard Public Library. We provide program assistance through volunteer help and funds and sponsorship of programs that will enable the Harvard Public Library to keep pace with the growth of the Town of Harvard.
We have books for sale in the HPL lobby that are available any time the library is open. All books on the shelf are $2 and books are updated frequently.
Please send your membership donations to:
PO Box 506
Harvard, MA 01451
They can be dropped off at the Library anytime it is open.
Or, you can donate below using PayPal or a credit card.
Please note: a donation to the Friends makes you a member. A benefit of being a member is entrance to our Preview Book Sale. There are no commercial or for-profit memberships.
- Patron ~ $100 or more
- Sponsor ~ $60
- Family ~ $35
- Individual ~ $15
- Senior ~ $10
A sub-committee of the Friends of the Harvard Public Library is the Harvard Friends of the Arts (HFOA). All HFOA performances are free and open to the public and held at Volunteers Hall. These programs are supported with memberships to the FOHPL, proceeds from our annual book sale, your donations and by the Harvard Public Library Trust. See HFOA for more information and a list of upcoming events.
|Vicki Maxant||At Large Committee Member|
What we do:
- Provide passes to over 20 museums in the greater Boston & Worcester areas. Passes are free or discounted for Harvard citizens.
- Help fund children’s and young adult programs, including the summer reading program, book groups, early release programs, movie nights, story time, maker days, music & theater productions. There have been over 7,200 participants in 350 programs some years! Most recently we provided funds for a collection of board games that can be borrowed from the Children’s Room.
- Sponsor the annual Dr. Jeffrey Harris Memorial Scholarship.
- Sponsor & organize Harvard Friends of the Arts performances at Volunteers Hall. In 2019, over 550 people attended 7 performances that were free & open to the public.
- Deliver “Books at Home” for homebound residents.
- Publish “Among Friends” Newsletter.
- Raised funds to help build the new library at Old Bromfield.
- Conduct the Annual Book Sale – a great book recycling program, social event and our main fundraising activity.
Please consider a tax deductible membership!
Why join the Friends?
Your Friends membership not only provides financial and community support to the Library, but also provides you with these key benefits:
Book Sale Preview Night Admission
Get first pick of the high quality books available at our annual Book Sale.
Reminders of Library and FOHPL events
Members of the FOHPL will get email reminders of upcoming events—never miss a lecture or program again!
We Invite You to Join the Friends!
Contact Chris Frechette with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PO Box 506
Harvard, MA 01451
Annual Book Sale ~ We're Back!!!
Book Sale Dates:
- Friday, May 6th: Friends Only* Preview Sale 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM (*must be a member of FOHPL to attend – residents of Harvard may sign up at the door with a tax-deductible donation)
- Saturday, May 7th: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Sunday, May 8th: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Please note: Friday's sale is meant as a small thank you to our supporters in our community. Therefore, stockpiling books is not permitted at Friday's preview sale. We reserve the right to limit the number of books sold to any individual or group.