Through the Harvard Public Library Teen Volunteer Program, students gain real job experience in a fun and educational environment while providing a valuable community service.
Note that pandemic restrictions have put most of our teen volunteer opportunities on temporary hiatus. But we would still like you to fill in the Teen Volunteer Application Form and indicate on the form which opportunities most interest you, so that we will be able to have you in our volunteer system for the post-pandemic future when these volunteer opportunities are again available.
Please see the Teen Volunteer Opportunities page for descriptions of available opportunities.
- At least 12 years old or entering the 6th Grade in the Fall 2021 school year.
- Must have parent/guardian’s permission.
- Must be able to commit to the schedule for the chosen volunteer opportunities (some opportunities require a regular commitment to a weekly schedule; others do not).
- Must have a genuine desire to volunteer.
- Complete the application and return it to Abby Kingsbury in the Children’s Room. You will receive a confirmation email within two weeks of receipt of your application.
- Give the reference form with a stamped, addressed envelope to one of your teachers and ask him or her to fill out the form and mail it back within two weeks. If you are home-schooled, please have an adult other than your parent fill out the form. The reference form is necessary to be accepted as a volunteer.
Mail the Teacher Reference Form to:
Abby Kingsbury, Head Children’s Librarian
Harvard Public Library
4 Pond Road
Harvard, MA 01451
- Volunteers are required to attend an orientation/training session; this session will be scheduled once volunteer opportunities are available post-pandemic. The orientation/training session will be scheduled at a mutually convenient time for you and the librarian who will be supervising your volunteer hours.
- Once volunteer opportunities resume post-pandemic, and after you have attended the required orientation/training session, you will be scheduled for volunteering duties.
During your scheduled volunteer hours or when helping at any of the special events, we ask that you wear clothing that is appropriate for school.
- long walking shorts
- jeans (in good repair)
- polo shirts
- unprinted t-shirts
- comfortable shoes
Not an option:
- athletic shorts
- mini-skirts or short shorts
- super low rise jeans
- halter/tank tops or muscle shirts
- product t-shirts (phrases, etc.)
Smile. Welcome to public service! You are representing both yourself and the library so good manners, good manners, good manners is your new Zen credo. Your job is to help the staff and the public, so be prepared to be pleasant, friendly, and helpful. If you are responsible for an activity involving children, be firm but kind and work to maintain a disciplined atmosphere (this will be covered in your orientation/training). Volunteering should be a fun experience for you but you may not enjoy all the tasks you are asked to complete. You are welcome to tell us what activities you prefer, but you will still need to accomplish those tasks that you find less enjoyable.
You need to be prompt and present for your scheduled work hours. We will be expecting your help at that time and need to be notified well in advance when you are unable to make it to the library. Please remind us the week before you go on vacation or before other previously scheduled commitments.
IMPORTANT: If you are scheduled to volunteer and cannot come for whatever reason, call the library and let us know. We’ll need to reschedule, and we’ll worry if you don’t show up!
When you arrive to volunteer, you need to:
- check in with a staff member
- check in with a staff member for any special instructions
- HAVE FUN HELPING AT THE LIBRARY!